Apr 29, 2011

Tips for Toddler Scripture Memory, Part 2

KJV Bible
The idea of having your young children learn scripture can be daunting. I used to idealize that this would happen in our house, but I had no idea how to actually make it happen!

Here are some more tips that have really helped me in making scripture memory for me and the kids a day-to-day reality.
(You can read Part 1 here.)

Enjoy it.

It can feel like drudgery! It always helps me to think of it as a bonding, enjoyable time, rather than another checkmark off my list.

Make sure you and the kids are relaxed and in a good mindset.

This doesn’t always happen. Sometimes we just have to buckle down and do it, but I generally wait or plan for a time when they have gotten out their jitters and are attentive and ready to interact. In other words, I just try to help them out by avoiding times when I know they will more likely be unfocused. After snacktime, after some vigorous outside playtime, before we sit down to read books, or while they are coloring are some of my favorite blocks of time.

Stop to explain the scriptures.

I have one child in particular that remembers a ton more when she understands exactly what it's all about. She just loves to know why! How could I possibly turn down her precious questions and comments when we're memorizing?

Sometimes, I hear her telling her younger sister all about Jesus and how he died to clean their hearts. I would never trade hearing that for all the hours I've spent explaining, teaching, answering questions, giving examples, talking, and doing more explaining. It's amazing to realize it actually might be sticking!

God's word really is like a seed! All we do is plant, and then wait and water and watch, and wait some more. (Luke 8:11)

Stay tuned for one last post about memorizing, coming next week...I saved my personal favorites for last!

No comments:

Post a Comment